top of page
Police pound recovery impound

DMR Police Impound Recovery

DMR vehicle recovery offers A Police Pound Recovery Service for stolen, accident, seized or impounded vehicles in any impound within the m25.

We offer recovery for almost all

 vehicles up to 3.5t with or without keys, including LWB, High Top and Luton Vans, Cars,  Trucks and Motorcycles.

 Our service is efficient and reliable with clear cut communication and pricing.


Releasing a vehicle from the police pound can be a very tricky and time consuming experience if you have never done it before.


We offer our expertise in these situations due to our vast knowledge and experience (10years) in dealing with the police and the police pounds.

Please note.

(No recovery company can get a vehicle out seized for no insurance or license)


Any vehicle seized for no insurance needs to be insured with a policy of at least 30 days by the person who the vehicle was taken from! You will need to inform the insurance company that your vehicle is impounded and that the insurance is need to release the vehicle.

You will also need to let them know of your pending conviction for driving with no insurance.


The police will check all of this on arrival they will also do other checks such as immigration status, and check if you are of interest to them for any crimes!


DMR Vehicle Recovery Ltd is insured and fully equipped to meet the polices strict rules to recover vehicles from the police pound for the following.

Accident damaged (RTA)

PG9 (Not road worthy and needs new mot)

Stolen recovered vehicle

Seized for a criminal investigation



DMR Vehicle Recovery  promises to provide you with nothing but the best information and help on how to recover your Police Impounded vehicle. For more information about our Police impound recovery please request a free quote or contact us today. 




Why Choose DMR Vehicle Recovery?

We have been providing Police Pound Recovery service for many years now, so regardless of what may be the reason for your vehicle being impounded or seized we have the experience, equipment and trained staff to get the job done.




Your vehicle may not be ready for collection for up to 8 hours after the time of seizure.


Section 4(4) (c) of The Regulations state that in order to secure the release of a vehicle seized under S165A RTA 1988, the registered keeper or owner of the vehicle must claim it from the Police compound on or before the specified date, which must be at least 7 working day from the date of service of the seizure notice. Both the Form 3708 seizure notice, issued to the driver by the seizing officer, and any subsequent notice letter, issued by the Pound staff state that the vehicle must be reclaimed within 7 working days. However in accordance with Section 7(2) (a) of The Regulations, the police cannot dispose of a vehicle until at least fourteen 14 days have elapsed, starting from the date of seizure.


Vehicles impounded or seized under Section S165A Road Traffic Act 1988 (RTA) if a police officer has grounds to believe that a vehicle was driven in contravention of Sections 87 or 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 –

  • It's a criminal offence to drive a vehicle on a public road without valid motor insurance or valid driving licence.


Normally the owner or registered keeper of the impounded vehicle is required to attend the pound in person to reclaim their vehicle, in accordance with Regulation 5 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motors Vehicle) Regulations 2005.

By attending the pound in person the pound staff can meet their statutory duty to establish ownership, driving entitlement and the validity of any motor insurance policy.

This statutory requirement for the owner or registered keeper to attend in person can be waived if there is a valid reason why they cannot comply, for example if they are:

  • In custody.

  • Out of the country ( a copy of flight tickets )

  • In hospital.

  • Unable to travel to the pound due to age, sickness, injury, immobility or disability.

  • Unable to attend the pound due to other exceptional or compassionate circumstances, which will be considered on their merit.


Under these circumstances a third party may be permitted to reclaim the Vehicle on behalf of the registered keeper or owner. The third party must provide:

  • Some documentary evidence that the registered keeper is unable to attend in person for a valid reason, as listed above. The pound staff must be satisfied that the registered keeper or owner is not trying to avoid attending in person due to a driving disqualification, or because they are of interest to the police.

  • A signed letter of authority from the registered keeper of owner, permitting the third party to reclaim the vehicle in their behalf.

  • Proof of identity and signature from the registered keeper or owner.

  • Valid proof of ownership, a valid certificate of motor insurance and a valid driving licence for the policyholder and the third party.

  • The motor insurance policy must be valid for the third party to reclaim an impounded vehicle on behalf of the registered keeper or owner. Confirmation from the insurer may be required.



In order to claim a vehicle, the owner or keeper must first produce valid proof of identify and then satisfy all the four requirements set out in Section 5 of The Regulations. This process can be summarised by the following mnemonic:




P - Person Identity check (Photo ID)

O - Owner or registered keeper (Proof of ownership)

L - Licence to drive

I - Insurance certificate

C - Check validity of documents and details given

E - Expedite the release of the vehicle


However, if a person fails to satisfy any one of these requirements then the release of the vehicle will not be authorised.



Person Identity Checks

For data protection reasons, the pound staff cannot discuss the release of a vehicle or the circumstances surrounding seizure until the claimant has first produced valid identification, and their connection to the vehicle has been established.

Acceptable forms of photographic identification include:

  • Passport.

  • National identification cards issued by EU member states.

  • UK photo card driving licence.

  • Freedom Pass

  • A recognisable and verifiable Government Agency identification card.


Pound staff will not accept as a valid form of identification:

  • Student cards

  • Identity cards issued by an employer

  • Cash and carry cards

  • Club membership cards


If the claimant cannot produce a valid form of photo ID:

A reasonable explanation, then at least two recent and verifiable documents may be accepted as proof of name and address. These include:

  • Bank statements.

  • Utility bills.

  • Council tax bills.


If the claimant cannot produce any valid identity documents either:

Then they must produce a letter on headed notepaper signed by a professional person. This will include, but is not limited to:

  • Doctor or State Registered Nurse

  • A full member of the Health Professions Council

  • Solicitor

  • Barrister

  • Police Officer (Or similar crown servant)

  • Member of Parliament, MLA or an elected local councillor


This letter must confirm the identity of the bearer and it must contain contact details to enable verification.


Owner or registered keeper

Full V5C registration document (logbook). We do not accept copies; and Photographic I.D.* and proof of name and address that matches the V5C.

If the Registered Keeper cannot produce a full V5C:

A verifiable documents may be accepted as proof of name and address. These include:

• Bank statements.

• Utility bills.

• Council tax bills.


New Keepers

  • Recognisable bill of sale or receipt from a verifiable source, but please note that the vehicle may not be released if there is no verifiable link to the last registered keeper

  • Correctly completed, unaltered and current V5C/2 (New Keeper Supplement

  • Photographic I.D.* and at least two documents showing proof of address that match the address shown on the V5C/2


Valid Driving Licence

  • A valid driving licence for this vehicle. Photocopies not accepted. (A vehicle driven by a provisional licence holder must display L-plates. The supervisor must be over the age of 21 and must have held a valid driving licence for at least 3years.)

  • A learner reclaiming a motorcycle also must produce a valid CBT certificate. A non-EU licence holder must also produce a passport or other evidence of immigration status and length of residence in the UK.

Valid certificate of insurance

A valid certificate of insurance which covers the claimant to drive this vehicle. We do not accept photocopies.

WARNING: Before attending, the policyholder must check with their insurer that the policy will cover the release of a vehicle that has been seized by a government authority.

bottom of page